Types of Providers and Licenses

• Physician, MD

• Psychiatrist

Usually a first choice to establish medications and rule out other possible diagnoses based on medical problems.

• General Practitioner / Family Practice / Primary Care Physician

Can be a good choice for medication maintenance and medical diagnoses.

• Licensed Clinical Psychologist

Often a choice for formal testing. Psychological testing has limited effectiveness to diagnose ADHD just by itself, but it can be useful for other conditions that often go with ADHD.

In California, requires a license as a Clinical Psychologist, not just a PhD degree. Lew Mills, PhD does not represent himself as a Licensed Clinical Psychologist.

If you are seeking an administrative diagnosis for accommodations for academic testing, for school or for your workplace, that will usually require a report by a licensed clinical psychologist. I may not be able to do that. Be sure and ask the parties that the report is intended for what they will accept.

• Marriage and Family Therapists (MFT) / Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)

Can do an assessment, diagnosis and psychotherapy.

Lew Mills, PhD is licensed as an MFT, (sometimes called an LMFT).

You can ask to get a referral to a Physician or Psychologist if that is indicated.

You can verify the status of a license in California as a Marriage and Family Therapist at the Board of Behavioral Sciences, or you can take a look at the license certificate.

Articles on Adult ADHD | Does Therapy Make Sense For You? | How to Start Therapy | Contact Information

Creative Commons License
This work by Lew Mills is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License